Why Can't I Share My Chocolate With My Dog?

While chocolate may be your favorite food in the world, it is not safe for your dog! This is quite well known but you may be confused why you can’t let your dog take a lick of your chocolate cake, so here is some information you can keep under your belt.

Chocolate has a chemical compound called theobromine. It is toxic to dogs and naturally found in cacao. It is also found in other foods such as tea plants and certain nuts. Theobromine is a chemical along with caffeine that gives people a “happy rush” which people tend to enjoy when consuming cacao. However, dogs can not metabolize these compounds in the same way humans can which is why dogs are much more sensitive to these chemicals.

When dogs ingest chocolate, the poison affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. The negative symptoms will occur between 4 and 24 hours after the ingestion and can last for 72 hours or more. The toxicity is dependent on the amount of chocolate consumed, the type of chocolate consumed, and the size of the dog.

Here are some signs to look for if your dog gets their paws on some chocolate:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Agitation
  • Nervousness
  • Seizures
  • Muscle tension
  • Muscle incoordination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Tremors
  • Increased urination
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog does display these symptoms, it is best to call a medical professional to help figure out what you should do for your dog. They will be able to come up with a correct course for treatment.

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment