Why THC is not for your Pet

This should come as a no brainer but you really should not be getting your dog high. It may seem like a fun and somewhat lighthearted idea, but in reality you might be signing your dog up for a lot more than either of you realize. While you zone out to TV and snacks, your dog will likely be having a significantly less enjoyable time. Here are a couple of the main reasons why:

  1. Pets don’t understand what it means to be ‘stoned’

Everyone experiences marijuana a little bit differently. Some find it very pleasant while others may become uncomfortable. However, all humans can benefit from understanding the cause and effect that resulted in the high they experienced. This allows us to monitor and form opinions on things such as our method of consumption, amount consumed or location. Because of this, we are able to understand how drugs affect us and actively try to optimize our enjoyment of them. Unfortunately, pets are not able to understand why they feel the way they do. Upon getting high, they will have little to no understanding of why they feel the way they do. They are unable to consent, express the quality of their experience, or even comprehend why they feel the way they do. This means that exposing your pet to THC would result in an unethical and confusing experience for them.

  1. A dog high is different than a human high

Marijana usage is significantly more dangerous for pets than it is for humans. While many may not consider this, it is important to remember just how differently living things react to drugs. For starters, dogs have more cannabinoid receptors than we do, which means their brains can become much higher than ours are capable of. This is only compounded by their smaller size, resulting in an experience significantly more intense than one may expect. On top of the stress such an experience may cause them, side effects such as lower blood pressure and lower heart rate become much more problematic. While you may be having a wonderful time being stoned, your pet may very well be convinced its going to die. Because of this, it is very important to bring your pet to the vet if you suspect it may have ingested marijuana, whether accidental or intentional.

  1. Other ingredients in weed products like edibles can get your pet sick

Marijana consumed in the form of edibles poses additional risks to the livelihood of our pets. Many do not consider how, in addition to THC, edibles contain many other ingredients and chemicals which may affect your pet in unexpected ways. The main culprit here is chocolate, which at best will cause your pet to throw up. If it remains in their system, it could lead to seizures, diarrhea and extreme anxiety. For cats, these symptoms can be even worse. When considering how combining these extreme symptoms with the confusing experience of a violent THC high, it becomes easy to understand why edibles and pets should never mix.

Works Cited

Arnold, byMarguerite, et al. “Why You Shouldn't Get Your Pet High • High Times.” High Times, 20 Feb. 2018, hightimes.com/health/shouldnt-get-pet-high/.

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment