With summertime ending, many people are wrapping up their summer vacation with some travel. If you are traveling with your pet, it is essential to be prepared so your pet will be safe. Here are some steps to follow to ensure a smooth journey.
1) Research City Entry Requirements
It is important to check any requirements that the city you are traveling to has. There may be extra requirements, especially for international cities, so make sure to do your research and see what the requirements are, and have a plan to complete them. Even to reenter the United States, there are some requirements to fulfill for your pet based on where they are coming from. You can check them here
2) Research Airline Requirements
Airlines also have different requirements and extra fees for your pet to travel. Different airlines have different rules over how your pet can travel with them. It depends on the size of your pet and the destination that you are traveling to. Make sure to look into this with your specific airline and call in advance to let them know. Typically, you may carry your pet in an airline-approved kennel carrier with you and be charged an extra fee to carry them. If you have a service dog, your dog will get to travel for free with you. Here are some links with the information on pet travel with some major US airlines.
3) Visit the Veterinarian's Office
Your vet should make sure that your pet is healthy enough to travel. After checking restrictions, your pet may also need some vaccines or tests done, so make sure your pet is up to date with those so there are no problems at the airport with entry.
4) Make sure your pet is comfortable
Making sure your pet is comfortable is essential for smooth travel. Here are some ways to ensure that
- Check if they are comfortable in their carrier
- Make sure they are used to being around strangers as they may encounter many
- Try to adjust your flight time to a temperature that will be comfortable for your pet
- Do not feed them before your flight
- If your pet is not flying with you, put a tracking device such as an AirTag on them to make sure they won’t get lost
- If your pet has anxiety, it would be beneficial for them to have some CBD before the flight so they remain calm. Zen Drops would be great to help with that.
Flying is not recommended for pets, so if there are alternatives that you can take: look into those. However, if you have to, following these steps are crucial to make sure your pet is safe while traveling.